Selling a Home in Ottawa
Sell for more money, in
less time, with less stress
I’m Wendy Lepore, an experienced Ottawa REALTOR®.
If you’re thinking about selling a home in Ottawa, I can help you with the entire selling process, from preparing your home for sale to listing your home on the Ottawa MLS® System to accepting a firm offer of purchase and sale. Here’s what you can expect when working with me to sell a property in Ottawa.
My services as your Ottawa real estate broker
I can also help you buy a home in Ottawa or the surrounding area, or connect you with experienced REALTORS® in other cities. Check out my Buying a Home in Ottawa page for more information.
As your Ottawa real estate broker, I listen carefully to understand your needs, priorities, expectations and timeline. Once I understand your current situation and future plans, I can then offer expert guidance and friendly advice throughout your home-selling process. That includes:
- Explaining current Ottawa housing market conditions
- Providing you with data and comparables to help decide the asking price for your home
- Determining the best time to list your home for sale in Ottawa
- Creating a pre-listing To Do list of any repairs or renovations needed to show your home in its best light
- Referring you to real estate lawyers and mortgage professionals
- Connecting you with home staging experts, skilled tradespeople, home inspectors, downsizing and estate sale experts, and any other services needed to prepare your property for sale
- Having your home professionally photographed
- Listing your home on the Ottawa MLS® System
- Marketing your home to Ottawa home buyers
- Facilitating appointments for potential buyers and liaising with the buyer’s agent
- Receiving and presenting you with any offers to purchase
- Negotiating the sale of your home
- Handling the sales documents and completing real estate trade paperwork
Working with me as your Ottawa real estate agent
Here is an overview of what will happen once you choose me as your Ottawa real estate agent. I will:
- Meet you at your property so you can walk me through it
- Share recent home sales, pricing and listing strategies in your neighbourhood, and talk about how your home compares
- Discuss and determine what price you want to ask for the sale of your home, as well as your preferred timeline for selling
- Review the paperwork typically used to list a home for sale
- Answer any questions you may have about selling your home in Ottawa
- Suggest ways to prepare your home and any recommended repairs or updates to help you achieve your price expectations when your home is listed for sale
- Show you how commission is typically structured and how I will be paid for my services as your Ottawa real estate agent
- Gather the information required for the listing paperwork and the Ottawa MLS® System listing
- Prepare your listing paperwork for signature
- Create the listing for your home on the Ottawa MLS® System
- Prepare the promotional materials needed to market your home to Ottawa home buyers
- Liaise with prospective buyer’s agents
- Seek and provide continuing feedback
- Negotiate any offers submitted
Preparing your home for sale in Ottawa
Getting your home ready for sale can be as easy as completing a few simple tasks, or it can be more involved. The goal is to show your home at its best, but you always have the final say as to how much and what work you want to do.
Here’s how I can help you prepare your home for sale:
- I will work with you to assess and prioritize repairs and upgrades in order to get the best price for your home.
- If needed or desired, I’ll connect you with skilled tradespeople, decluttering experts, home staging professionals and other specialists who can help you present your home in the best light possible.
- I will hire a professional photographer/videographer to assist with marketing your home.
- Together, we will determine the best time to list your home on the Ottawa MLS® System.
- Together we will review what features and selling points to use when marketing your home to Ottawa home buyers.
Showing your home to potential Ottawa home buyers
- Once your home is listed for sale on the Ottawa MLS® System, your primary responsibility is keeping it show-ready, inside and out.
- Home showings can pop up on short notice. The more flexible you can be, the easier it is for buyer’s agents to show your home to potential home buyers, and the more quickly it may sell.
Receiving and negotiating an offer to buy your home in Ottawa
- I will alert you to any incoming offers and, once received, review any offer with you in detail.
- I will provide advice and guidance about the offer, answer any questions you may have and seek clarification if needed. Ultimately the decision to accept, counter, or decline an offer is up to you, the home seller.
- I will negotiate on your behalf with the representative of the buyer and convey all responses to you.
- We will repeat this process as needed for any and all offers we receive to buy your home.
- If there are conditions in the offer, your home will remain listed on the Ottawa MLS® System. During this conditional period, you can choose to pause or continue showings while the buyer works to fulfill their conditions.
- I will continue to communicate with you and the buyer’s agent during the conditional period.
- Once the buyer’s conditions have been fulfilled and your home is "sold firm," I will complete the paperwork to finalize the sale of your home and change the status of your listing in the Ottawa MLS® System.
- I will send the completed offer documents to your lawyer and mortgage professional, and ensure all necessary paperwork is completed for the listing brokerage.
After your home in Ottawa is sold
- I will provide you with a checklist to help you prepare to move and refer you to any other resources and support required.
- If you are also buying a new home in Ottawa, I will work with you to set up a search for your next home. Please visit my Buying a Home in Ottawa page for more information.
- If you are relocating, I can recommend trusted buyer’s agents across Canada and internationally if desired.
How I get paid for working as your Ottawa real estate agent
- In Ontario, the seller usually pays the listing real estate brokerage (the company I work for as an Ottawa REALTOR®) a percentage of the sale price of your home as the commission.
- You and I will negotiate the commission before we list your home in the Ottawa MLS® System.
- The total commission paid by you is split between the listing brokerage and the brokerage representing the buyer.
- On the day of closing, your lawyer will set aside the funds to pay my real estate brokerage (the listing brokerage) the agreed-upon commission.
- My brokerage then divides the commission payment between itself and the buyer’s brokerage.
The listing and buyer brokerages further divide the commission between themselves and the Ottawa real estate agents who represented the buyers and sellers.
Notebook Entries Related to Selling a Home in Ottawa
My values as an Ottawa REALTOR®
As an Ottawa REALTOR®, you can rely on me to be truthful, respectful of your time, knowledgeable about Ottawa real estate and the current housing market, and attentive to your needs. It is not my job to tell you what price to sell your home for or whose offer to accept. My role and responsibility is to provide you with:
- facts and knowledge to help you make informed choices and decisions
- advice and perspective based on my many years of experience as an Ottawa REALTOR®
- access to resources and specialists to support you while you sell your home
- strong and ethical negotiation skills
- flexibility when and if your home selling needs/wants/timing/plans change
Please note: I do not accept referral fees from other professionals. I ask anyone who offers referral fees to make a donation to the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. When I refer a person or company, it is solely because I believe in their product or service, not because I will benefit in some way.